Q&A: Is burning more calories then you have ate the key to weight loss?

January 16, 2012 by

by jackiebese

Question by Jumperrx33: Is burning more calories then you have ate the key to weight loss?
I am recently on a diet. I am 12 years old, and trying to loss weight. My mom doesn’t agree with me that burning more then you ate in one day is the key to successful weight loss! Is that true? What are some good tips?

Answer by lala
you’re 12 and on a diet? seriously?

Comments

8 Responses to “Q&A: Is burning more calories then you have ate the key to weight loss?”
  1. meL says:

Yes it is……its really that simple, stick to it.

2. nerovega says:

yeah thats how it works
    you burn more than you take in
    but you still need to eat the correct amount of calories and you also need eat the right portions throughout the day to regulate your metabolism

3. michaelbruce1 says:

burning too much calories by exercising isnt the best idea because when you loose the weight most people stop or lower there exercise levels and the weight piles back on. loosing weight should be a lifestyle change and not just a phase.

4. cliff says:

Yes, it’s a matter of simple arithmetic. To help you along, stay away from the donuts, chips, tacos, burritos, ice cream and try some exercise. Before you know it, you’ll be so fit that people on the street will whistle when you pass by.

5. TheLittleOne. says:

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it is the key to weight loss but I would say that it can be an aim. That way, you wont feel disappointed if you dont manage to achieve this.

By the way, ignore the fact people are telling you not to lose weight at 12. I did, and it kept me fit and healthy. Just LISTEN to parents/close friends, when they are telling you that you are look un-healthy with the results!

6. n_2_b_s says:

no you ont want to be burning of the full amount you ate in a day that is not good at all!!!
    that really isnt the key to weight loss, its the key to killing yourself burning the full amount off.
    yes exercise is the key but you do need have food in you that is not burnt off too.

…. you are 12! dont think about loosing weight now. itl destroy your teenage years and wont be any fun if this is all you think about … trust me.
    just eat a healthy diet. its all about moderation so they say. x

7. Emrys M says:

I’m hoping that you are at least considered slightly overweight and not one of those young kids who simply think they are fat when they are not.

Now first off, yes that is correct. It’s rather simple, your body stores calories from food and uses calories to do pretty much anything (including digesting food and even sleep, though it is very minimal calorie burn there). Take in more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Take in as much as you burn and you stay at the same weight. Burn more calories than you take in and you will loose weight. Of course, you also have to consider muscle gain for it weighs more than fat and if you are putting on enough muscle while loosing calories, you may not actually loose weight. Though you should still slim down and loose fat on your body.

The best way to loose calories is to work out as physical exercise uses energy which uses calories. Cardiovascular uses up a lot of calories, though you need to change things up (or push yourself harder by going further/longer or moving faster) or else your body will get use to the motion and after a while it won’t be as effective. With cardio, you don’t gain as much muscle either so you are bound to loose more weight than weight training. Now if you do weight training, that causes calorie burning too, but also gains you muscles, which (as stated before) can cause you to not actually loose weight but still is good for you. Another good thing about gaining muscle though is it better boosts up your metabolism compared to cardio exercises. With a better metabolism your body naturally burns more calories in normal activity.

Now being you are 12 years old, I’d not push too hard on the weight lifting and go for more endurance/cardio exercises. A child’s body (no offense meant) is not set to deal with a lot of muscle and can cause problems later on in life, I believe the term is muscle degeneration. The time where one (at least for males, not sure if it is different with females) can start really working on actually gaining muscles is 15 or 16 years of age typically.

Sorry I don’t have a good link for muscle degeneration. But as I said, stick with cardio/endurance stuff for now as it works better than just trying to diet alone. Sports are really good for that sort of thing too and for most people is also fun to do. Since summer is coming up, there will be baseball or softball to play.

EDIT: Another thing to think about is don’t fret if you don’t drop weight quickly. It takes a while to start if you are on a healthy routine. Loosing weight too quickly (even if it is down to a “healthy weight”) can cause a lot of problems. Nutritionists and doctors say it isn’t healthy to loose more than 2 or 3 pounds in a week.

8. Barbara says:

I have been through it all and know what’s it about. The main thing is to stick in there. You can’t be an addict to food and never exercise if you want to live a healthy life and keep the weight off. I’ve worked out, done every diet, and all types of classes.

Nothing works, besides dedication and intelligence towards the subject of losing weight.

First, depending on how much weight you need to lose, your diet is the first concern. You can’t eat 10,000 calories a day and expect the weight to come off, even if you are exercising a lot. Which brings us to the next thing. Duh, Exercising…

This is a must especially if you need to a lot of weight. Get at least 30 mins of some good hardcore exercising. Do some cardio, in the long run, it’s good for the heart.

However, I find the most hardest part of losing weight/keeping it off, in my diet. It’s so hard to keep your fingers out of the cookie jar or those chocolate goodies. I’ve found a great addition to help any one out, it’s a natural weight loss supplement called Proactol. Now don’t get all crazy on me and say diet pills don’t work. That is true, but not in this case. This one isn’t meant to burn pounds while you sit on the couch. It’s an appetite suppressant, along with being a fat binder. I saved money on the pills at theweightlossplace dot com along with getting some good info. It basically makes those fingers not go towards the cookie jar. For me it’s the best pill I’ve tried and I’ve tried cupboards full. Now this doesn’t mean you have to follow my foot steps but I’ve successfully lost roughly 70 pounds and keeping it off til this day.

Well good luck and remember what I said, Dedicate.